Last Updated on 23rd May, 2018
This privacy notice provides information on how The GP Service (UK) Limited (“the GP Service“, “we” or “us“) uses personal data relating to users (“you“) of its website at www.thegpservice.co.uk (“the Website“), its mobile and tablet applications and its software (together the “GPS System“), and to users of any of the services accessible via the GPS System.
Please read this privacy notice carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data, how we will treat it, your rights and how to contact us.
BY USING THE GPS SYSTEM, AND BY GIVING YOUR INFORMATION TO US, YOU INDICATE YOUR CONSENT TO US AND THIRD PARTIES COLLECTING AND USING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TERMS SET OUT IN THIS NOTICE.
This privacy notice forms part of the GP Service’s Terms and Conditions at https://thegpservice.co.uk/terms Please print a copy for your records and future reference.
1. Who is the GP Service?
The GP Service is the trading name of The GP Service (UK) Limited, a company registered in England and Wales with company number 09359853, and registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office under number ZA194910.
The GP Service provides an online service that brings together patients, doctors and pharmacies, and that aims to facilitate the purchase by users of non-prescription medication, vaccinations and other products (“Products“) for supply by a pharmacy or other third party. It provides this service and related services (together the “Services“) via the GPS System.
The GP Service acts as a data controller in its use of your personal data, as described in this privacy notice.
You can contact the GP Service by using the contact details set out at Section 10 below. ,
2. Collection of data by the GP Service
2.1. Registration details
If you use the GPS System or install any of the GP Service’s mobile or tablet applications, you will be asked to register with the GP Service and provide certain information in order to create an account and receive the Services.
Registration information may include:
- your name, telephone number and email address;
- your postal address;
- the telephone number of the mobile device on which you have installed the GP Service’s mobile application or use the GP Services web service; and
- your date of birth (which will be used to check you are over 18 years of age and as an additional identity check should you need to get in contact with the GP Service).
- Details of your regular NHS GP.
2.2. Data collected when you use the Services
When you use any one or more of the Services, we may also ask you for and / or collect:
- your payment card details (which will be used for the purposes of paying for your order);
- medical information about you (for example, any illnesses, medical history, prescriptions provided);
- data relating to the Products and Services you purchase via the GPS System; and
- a record of any consultations you have with a doctor via the GPS System, together with details of the care, advice and / or treatment that you receive from any such doctor.
Any medical information that we collect about you is categorized as sensitive personal data under the Data Protection Act 1998.
2.3 Contacting the GP Service
If you contact the GP Service in relation to any of the Services or any part of the GPS System (via email, telephone, post or otherwise), we may collect and retain your contact details (name; email address; phone number) and your communication for the purpose of handling your query and keeping records of communications. Your contact details will not be shared or used for marketing purposes.
2.4 Data we receive from other sources
All test kits available for purchase via the GPS System are supplied, and all testing is carried out, by The Doctor’s Laboratory Limited (“TDL“) (see paragraph 8.2 of the GP Service’s Terms and Conditions) at https://thegpservice.co.uk/terms Following completion of the tests by TDL, TDL will send the test results to us, for uploading onto your Account.
We also work closely with other third parties (including, for example, business partners, sub-contractors in technical, payment and delivery services, advertising networks, analytics providers, search information providers, credit reference agencies), and we may sometimes receive information about you from them.
All such information may be combined with the data you provide to us when you register with the GP Service and / or when you use the Services, and the combined data may be used by us for the same purposes outlined in this notice.
3. How we use your data
We use the data that you provide to us when you register with the GP Service, and the data that we collect when you use the Services or contact us, as follows:
- to provide you with the Services that you request from us in accordance with our obligations under any agreement entered into with you;
- to communicate with you in the event that any services requested are unavailable or if there is a query or problem with your order;
- for record keeping purposes;
- where you have provided your consent, your name, email address and contact number may be used to provide you, or permit selected third parties to provide you, with information about goods or services we feel may interest you (you may unsubscribe from this at any time by contacting us using the contact details in section 10 below);
- to ensure that content on the GPS System is presented in the most effective manner for your device;
- to take payment for the Services and/or Products you purchase via the GPS System; and
- to notify you about changes to our Services or to the GPS System.
We may also use and disclose your personal data:
- to track and analyse activity on the GPS System;
- for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, measuring advertising effectiveness, research and/or survey purposes;
- to perform a range of other business intelligence functions to optimise the Services and introduce new offerings;
- to check your compliance with the GP Service’s Terms and Conditions at www.thegpservice.co.uk/terms
- for the administration and maintenance of the GPS System and the Services;
- for compliance with legal obligations, or protection and enforcement of legal rights; and/or
- to detect or prevent fraudulent activity.
3.1 How long we hold personal information.
The service takes into account relevant guidance, including that from the Care Quality Commission’s Schedule of Applicable Guidance.
- All records will be held securely.
- Access will be restricted to persons who have a need to access such documents as appropriate (e.g. Registered Person(s) or where relevant, practitioners).
- The records will be maintained for a minimum of 11 years from date of last entry where patient details are contained within the documentation. All records will be destroyed by shredding after the retention period.
Patient records will be kept for the time period required under relevant legislation.
4. Sharing your data
The GP Service will never sell information that can be used to personally identify you to a third party.
However, you agree that The GP Service may share and disclose your personal data for the purposes outlined at Section 3 above to third parties, including your personal data with third parties as follows:
4.1. Disclosure to doctors, pharmacies and The Doctor’s Laboratory
The GP Service may share and disclose:
- your personal data (including any medical information you provide to us) with the doctor allocated to you to carry out a consultation for the purposes of enabling the relevant doctor to provide you with medical services, a diagnosis and treatment;
- your personal data (including any medical information you provide to us and any medical information that is generated through your use of the Services such as a record of any consultations you have with a doctor via the GPS System, together with details of the care, advice and / or treatment that you receive from any such doctor) to your NHS General Practitioner (“GP“), unless you specifically opt out of this when using our Services (this is a compliance requirement of the General Medical Council); and
- your basic identification data with the pharmacy selected by you at the time you place your order via the GPS System (or, if that pharmacy fails to or declines to accept your prescription for dispensing, the pharmacy nominated by us and notified to you by email) for the purposes of enabling the pharmacy to verify your identification on collection of your prescription or deliver your prescription to you.
- your basic identification data for test kits. All test kits available for purchase via the GPS System are supplied by TDL. Accordingly, when you place an order to purchase a test kit via the GPS System, we will also share your basic identification data with TDL for the purposes of enabling TDL to provide the test kits to you.
4.2. Disclosure to other third parties
The GP Service may share and disclose your personal data for the purposes outlined at Section 3 above to third parties, including:
- our service providers and professional advisers:
- The nominated pharmacy of your choice
- w2globaldata.com: ‘Know Your Customer’ checks
- NHS Digital: Summary Care Records
- The nominated GP: patient records
- any investor, lender, purchaser or (on terms of confidentiality) likely investor in, or purchaser of, the GP Service’s business; and
- other third parties where required or permitted by law.
- Mailchimp for marketing communications
Data passed to Mailchimp for marketing purposes, includes:
- First name
- Last name
- Email address
This data will be stored by Mailchimp for email marketing purposes only. Mailchimp will not sell or share your personal data.
In these circumstances, we will ensure that personal information is properly protected and that it is only used in accordance with this privacy notice.
4.3 Disclosure for the purposes of law and enforcement
Where we are legally required to do so, we will also share your information with any authority to prevent cyber crime or fraud or to protect the intellectual property of the GPS System or personal safety rights of any individual. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
The GP Service does not store any of your payment card details on its systems.
Storage and security of your personal data
Your personal data is stored in electronic and physical records maintained by the GP Service and/or its service providers.
The security of all personally identifiable information associated with you is taken very seriously and all data supplied is treated confidentially. We therefore have several security measures in place to try to protect against the loss, unauthorised use and corruption of any personal data that is under our control. We review our security and privacy policies regularly and improve them where it is reasonably possible to do so. We do not guarantee that loss, unauthorized use, corruption and/or alteration of information will never occur, but we use all reasonable efforts to prevent it.
Please note that the input of data over the internet is never fully secure. We cannot, therefore, guarantee the security of data you submit via the Website or the GPS System in transit over the internet and any such submission is at entirely your own risk. Please ensure that you never leave your device logged on or use the GPS System or the Services in a public place where others can potentially see your details.
We run our applications in HTTPS secure mode and all textual, audio and video information is encrypted.
Transfer of personal data outside the EEA
Whilst the GP Service is based in the UK, it and its service providers may have servers located outside the European Economic Area (“EEA“), where the laws may not give the same level of protection to personal data as within the UK. By submitting your personal data, you agree to allowing your personal data to be transferred, processed and stored overseas as set out in this paragraph.
Data that we collect from you may also be processed by persons operating outside the EEA who work for us or for one of our suppliers. Such persons may be engaged in, among other things, the provision of certain services, which allow us to provide the Services to you. By submitting your personal data, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing. We will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that your data is treated securely and in accordance with this privacy notice.
We reserve the right to collect technical data about the type of browser software or operating system you are using for the purposes of tracking website use, or improving the services offered through the GPS System. This information will be not used to identify you personally.
You can remove cookies from your computer at any time, and choose to disable cookies in your internet browser settings. Without cookies enabled, we cannot guarantee that the Website and your experience of it are as we intended it to be.
The length of time a cookie stays on your device depends on its type. We use two types of cookies on the Website, as follows:
- Session cookies are temporary cookies which only exist during the time you use the Website (or more strictly, until you close the browser after using the Website). Session cookies help the Website remember what you chose on the previous page, avoiding the need to re-enter information.
- Persistent cookies stay on your device after you have visited the Website. For example, when you log onto the GPS System, a persistent cookie will be used to remember your preferences, so that the system remembers your choice the next time you log in. Persistent cookies help us to identify you as a unique visitor but do not contain any information that could be used to identify you to another person.
- You can also learn more about cookies by visiting www.allaboutcookies.org, which includes additional useful information on cookies. It also shows how to block cookies using various types of browser.
7. External Links
Although the Website only looks to include quality, safe and relevant external links users should always adopt a policy of caution before clicking any external web links mentioned throughout the Website or any part of the GPS System.
If you follow a link to any external web links mentioned throughout the Website or any part of the GPS System, please note that these external websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal information to these websites.
8. Social Media Platforms
Communication, engagement and actions taken through external social media platforms that we participate on are subject to the terms and conditions as well as the privacy policies of those social media platforms.
You are advised to use social media platforms wisely and communicate/participate on them with due care and caution with regard to your personal information. We will never ask for personal or sensitive information through social media platforms and we encourage users wishing to discuss sensitive details to contact the relevant platform provider through primary communication channels such as by telephone or email.
The Website and the GPS System may use social sharing buttons which help share web content directly from our web pages to the social media platform in question. Where you use such social sharing buttons you do so at your own discretion – you should note that the social media platform may track and save your request to share a web page respectively through your social media platform account. Please note these social media platforms have their own privacy policies, and we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal information to these social media platforms.
8.1 Shortened Links in Social Media
We may through our social media platform accounts share web links to relevant web pages. By default some social media platforms shorten lengthy URLs.
Users are advised to take caution and exercise good judgement before clicking on any shortened URLs published on social media platforms by us. Despite the best efforts to ensure only genuine URLs are published, many social media platforms are prone to spam and hacking and therefore we cannot be held liable for any damages or implications caused by visiting any shortened links.
9. Removal of your details
You may request deletion of your account on the App or the Web Ordering Tool and information submitted and collected at any time by contacting:
The GP Service (UK) Limited
Coventry University Technology Park,
However, the GP Service may retain certain aspects of your account and other personal details for the purposes of maintaining records of their dealings with you, analysis and statistics.
The GP Service may delete your account in accordance with clauses 5.4 and 14.2 of the GP Service’s Terms and Conditions available on our website, including in the circumstances where you breach its terms or have not used the Services for a substantial period of time.
10. Access to your personal data
If you would like to access a copy of any personal data which the GP Service holds about you, or if you wish to change your consent regarding marketing communications, please send a request by email or by post using the contact details in below. Alternatively, you may opt out by following any Unsubscribe link contained within marketing communications.
You have the right, in certain circumstances, to object to the GP Service processing your personal data or to request that your personal data is corrected or deleted. Please contact us:
The GP Service (UK) Limited
Coventry University Technology Park,
If you have any queries in relation to the processing of your personal data by the GP Service Limited, please contact us:
By post: The GP Service (UK) Limited, Coventry University Technology Park, The TechnoCentre, Puma Way, COVENTRY. CV1 2TT
By email: support@theGPService.co.uk
By phone: Please ask for the Admin Team between the hours of 9.30am and 6.00pm Monday to Friday on 0247 615 8050.
Note: If you require assistance for a video consultation booking or require support for an appointment you can speak to us by calling 0247 615 8050 between the hours of 8.00am and 8.00pm Monday to Sunday.
12. Changes to this privacy notice
Privacy laws and practice are constantly developing and we aim to meet high standards. Our policies and procedures are, therefore, under continual review. We may, from time to time, update our security and privacy policies and suggest that you check this page periodically to review our latest policies.